Hi Chikku,

the -qcache command is for cross sectional processing. It is not done in
the base and does not need to be done there.

The base is like an additional time point so it does run from the start
and even contains some extra steps. 12hrs are not unlikely.

You will need to also run the recon all again on all time points with
the -long flag.

Then, once those are processed, you have several options for the
analysis, see
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/LongitudinalStatistics

we recommend linear mixed effects, described here:
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/LinearMixedEffectsModels
but in your simple setup (2 time points for each subject), you can also
use the direct analysis of atrophy. For that you'd do
a) run some processing scripts that compute the rate of change in each
subject (e.g. long_mris_slopes or long_stats_slopes)
b) use mri_glmfit or qdec to analyze those rates (one for each subject)
across groups etc.
That is described here:
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/LongitudinalTwoStageModel
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/LongitudinalTutorial

Best, Martin

On 02/27/2013 11:19 AM, Varghese Chikku wrote:
> Dear all,
>   I am   bit  confused  with the  Qdec  process.
> I finished recon all for 2 time points and  want to create
> longitudinal data.From FS  tutorial I learned  to create
> within-subject templates for processing,which is  running now with
> recon-all -base <templateID> -tp <tp1id> -tp <tp2id> ... -all.
> Now,in an other link of tutorial it says ,Qdec needs each subject to
> have a pre-computed smoothed data for the target surface ,recon-all -s
> <subjid> -qcache
> So my first is question is, recon-all -base <templateID> -tp <tp1id>
> -tp <tp2id> ... -all  will do recon-all -s <subjid> -qcache along or I
> have  to run it separately.
> Second,recon-all -base <templateID> -tp <tp1id> -tp <tp2id> ... -all
> is almost 12  hrs  now and  wondering if this is processing images
> from the  very begining.
> Many Thanks
> chikku

Dr. Martin Reuter
Assistant in Neuroscience - Massachusetts General Hospital
Instructor in Neurology   - Harvard Medical School
MGH / HMS / MIT

A.A.Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 Thirteenth Street, Suite 2301
Charlestown, MA 02129

Phone: +1-617-724-5652
Email: