$ export SUBJECTS_DIR=/net/data4/ALSSCI/FreeSurfer201211/FreeSurfer
$ mris_make_surfaces -dura 001%d.mgz 4 s_MEMPRAGE lh

it's entirely possible I'm specifying the wrong mgz? After running
recon-all on the RMS the usual directories were created, etc... including
001.mgz which is in s_MEMPRAGE/mri/orig.