I've given it a try in which I do not include "* --out_orientation RAS" *for
writting an nii file (see output below). In doing so the new aseg.nii file
appears to be the exact same as the original nii files I created (i.e. the
number of voxels for a given segmentation ID did not change between the old
and new nii file and neither of these are matching the stats file). Do you
have another suggestion for fixing this? I ask because some of the smaller
structures can have up to a 30% change in the number of voxels representing
a given structure (comparing the nii file to the stats file).

r500711$ mri_convert aseg.mgz aseg.nii
mri_convert aseg.mgz aseg.nii
$Id: mri_convert.c,v 1.179.2.7 2012/09/05 21:55:16 mreuter Exp $
reading from aseg.mgz...
TR=0.00, TE=0.00, TI=0.00, flip angle=0.00
i_ras = (-1, 0, 0)
j_ras = (0, 0, -1)
k_ras = (0, 1, 0)
writing to aseg.nii...