Aubin Paul wrote:
horrible time trying to get the new PC working. This is off-topic, but
I bought a Athlon 2000+ and a A7N266-VM motherboard... all nice stuff,
and it's running, well, crawling, slow in Linux right now. I can't for
the life of my figure it out.

Seriously, it went to 100% CPU when I typed 'ps aux' which is not
exactly CPU demanding.

How's your new machine going now? Are you missing kernel support for something on your board? Bad hardware?

Well, I think I have it, though I'm not a hardware expert. Is it
possible for me to have these kind of horrible problems with a power
supply that is too weak?

I've got an Athlon XP 2000 and the PSU is only 230W... the guys at the
store said it would be fine, but I'm seeing things making me believe
300W is the bare minimum.

I an running an Athlon XP 2100+ on a microATX board and case. I think my power supply is only 180-200W. I would like to say I'm having no problems but I crach now and then, usually when I'm watching a DVD. I have also crashed twice while compiling software. At first I thought it was probably a bug in mplayer but the latter makes me think it is something bad with my CPU or memory (or kernel). I think heat is also an issue. I have since removed the top of my case, and only had one crash since... while watching a DVD.

This is frustrating, because I now have NO computer until I figure it out. And I can't find a mATX 300/400W PSU anywhere. I might have to buy a new case too. F*U*N.

Maybe your CPU is bad.

When you get this puppy working though, you are going to have one big smile on your face. :)

-Rob