Ok, here are my first tests for fading between pictures :
 - In the Python world, it seems (maybe someone can confirm???) that only
PIL offers a function for fading (the Image.blend function).
 - I test it by modifying the src/image/ files : the imageitem.oy now
accepts a second filename, which is the previous image. Then the viewer
loops in ten step to fade-in/out the previous image to the new one.
 - On my 800x600 screen (Duron 800 Mhz+R128TVout), the processing is very,
very slow !!! At least 3/4 sec for fading between two 800x600 pictures,
with 97% of my CPU !!!

I think that one of the problem is for each frame, the PIL image needs to
be converted to a Pygame image... Any ideas to do it directly in Pygame

Sylvain.