Dirk Meyer wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ok, here are my first tests for fading between pictures :
- In the Python world, it seems (maybe someone can confirm???) that only
PIL offers a function for fading (the Image.blend function).
- I test it by modifying the src/image/ files : the imageitem.oy now
accepts a second filename, which is the previous image. Then the viewer
loops in ten step to fade-in/out the previous image to the new one.
- On my 800x600 screen (Duron 800 Mhz+R128TVout), the processing is very,
very slow !!! At least 3/4 sec for fading between two 800x600 pictures,
with 97% of my CPU !!!

I think that one of the problem is for each frame, the PIL image needs to
be converted to a Pygame image... Any ideas to do it directly in Pygame

In WIP/Dischi is some test code. It fades one image out and the other
in at the same time. But I have the same problem: 3/4 secs for fading
with everything the CPU has to give. It's very hard to blend two
images together, so I don't think we can make it use less CPU. But it
will be possible to turn off if you don't like / don't want to wast
CPU time.

Check out numerical python which can be used from PyGame. It is included with the runtime (at least it used to be). There are NumPy demos at the PyGame website which are very impressive!

/ Krister