On Mon 28.07.2003 at 03:57:28PM +0100, Q wrote:
> Lol, good stuff... So long as it means I can still do the things I want and
> still make my own choices, that's fine by me. If things become illegal or
> certain components become hard to find, well generally peeps always find a
> way. All I would like to see it for it to be made super simple for users to
> be able to put any functionality back in that cannot be directly supplied,
> providing they can find the missing modules/codecs etc themselves.

The problem is not for users to do illegal things, the problem is for
the maintainers to give the users the clues on how to do the illegal
things. Jon Johanson was not sued for having watched DVDs on his Linux
box, but for having *published* on the Net how to do so.

> I think the lawyers are going to have a hard time suing the entire Linux
> community, though between SCO, MS Palladium and DRM,  we may all be in for a
> bit of a rough ride for the next couple of years.

RIAA and/or MPAA has a couple of days ago sued 871 people at the same
time for sharing files on P2P networks. I don't know how the U.S.
justice system will absorb 871 trials at the same time, but RIAA/MPAA
has done it.

Matthieu
--
 (~._.~)        Matthieu Weber - Université de Jyväskylä         (~._.~)
  ( ? )                email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  ( ? )