  From: Robert Cordingley
  To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
  Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 9:29 AM
  Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Reductionism - was: Young but distant gallaxies

  I'm reading "The Book of Nothing" by John D. Barrow which begins with a
history of the concepts of zero, nothing, 0 (the place holder) and the void and
moves smoothly on through sets and on to quantum physics.  The book raises lots
of questions for me and Ken's post struck a chord. On page 235:

  "Yet, despite the symmetry of the laws of Nature, we observe the outcomes of
those symmetrical laws to be asymmetrical states and structures.  Each of us is
a complicated asymmetrical outcome of the laws of electromagnetism and gravity.
... One of Nature's deep secrets is the fact that the outcomes of the laws of
Nature do not have to possess the same symmetries as the laws themselves.... it
is possible to have a Universe governed by a very small number of simple
symmetrical laws (perhaps just a single law) yet manifesting a stupendous array
of complex, asymmetrical states and structures that might even be able to think
about themselves."

  If physicists find the perhaps one law (the Grand Unified Theory?) isn't that
the ultimate in reductionism?  Everything else is just playing in the resulting
stardust.

  So is the study of complexity just another way of looking at the asymmetries?

  Apparently too Descartes denied that a vacuum could exist (ibid p119), let
alone 0, but now physicists ideas of what a vacuum is seem to make it something
other than a complete void, possessing zero-point energy.  So may be D had a
point?

  Robert C

  Kenneth Lloyd wrote:
    Steve,

    Good job on the defense of a reductionist position.  I utilize a five phase
approach to the study of complex systems.

    Definition - Analysis - Normalization - Synthesis - Realization (DANSR)

    Reductionism has its place in the analytical phase at equilibrium.
Analysis is normally a study of integrable, often linear systems, but it can be
accomplished on non-linear, feed-forward systems as well.  The synthesis phase
puts information re: complex behavior and emergence back into the integrated
mix and may be "analyzed" in non-linear, recurrent networks.  This is actually
a probabilistic inversion of analysis as described in Inverse Theory.

    Bayesian refinement cycles (forward <-> inverse) are applied to new
information as one progresses through the DANSR cycle. This refines the effect
of new information on prior information - which I hope folks see is not simply
additive - and which may be entirely disruptive (see evolution of science
itself) .

    The fact this seems to work for complex systems is philosophically
uninteresting, and may ignored - so the discussion can continue.

    Final point: Descartes ultimately rejected the concept of zero because of
historical religious orthodoxy - so he personally never applied it to the
continuum extension of negative numbers. All his original Cartesian coordinates
started with 1 on a finite bottom, left-hand boundary - according to Zero, The
Biography of a Dangerous Idea, by Charles Seife.

    Ken