My toes are basking in the warm breeze from the back of my AMD64 server as I
type this.  In the summer I open a window.

Backups are done like this:

#
#/home/roberts
#
echo "Starting /home/roberts backup" >>/home/roberts/backup.log
date >>/home/roberts/backup.log

/usr/bin/rsync -vurltD --delete --exclude-from=/home/roberts/.rsync/exclude
/home/roberts /media/usb0 >>/home/roberts
/backup.log 2>&1

echo "Completed /home/roberts backup" >>/home/roberts/backup.log
date >>/home/roberts/backup.log

where /media/usb0 is a slow but fast-enough 1 TB USB drive that powers
itself off when not being used. When that one fills up I'll get another and
modify the script to rsync in multiple chunks.

Crude, but effective.

--Doug