> All the discussions of nifty hardware possibilities, along with my
> slightly flower-child "whole shebang" view, leads me to ask folks
> about their larger computing ecology and how it has impacted your
> choice of new devices, whether desktops, laptops, phones, servers,
> media (tivo, appletv, ...) and so on.

If ecology in this case means the interaction of organisms with their
environment, then personally I find the question excellent and my
experience therewith frustrating in that ecology would dictate that I
eliminate the old-school custom dual Opteron mid-tower box at home and the
ageing PPC Macintosh G5 (dual 1.8's) and substitute a laptop for energy
conservation/efficiency. I try to use the current white Macbook for as
much work as possible for this reason.  I pale at the thought of how much
electricity is used on the average weekend in Santa Fe by fleets of
Pentium/Core 2 Duo desktops idling at the various offices in town, to say
nothing of the fact that during the week said machines CPU utilization is
often < %10 while they are used largely as input devices (Excel, Word,
IE7, Firefox, etc.) rather than for processing (wish they all ran the
BOINC client!).

I think the holistic viewpoint that you refer to Owen is wonderful in that
it invites a conversation about equanimity and creativity.  I struggle
with the solipsistic "what do I (the human) do next to meet my computing
wants/needs?" rather than "how do I make smart energy consumption choices
for myself and my community (community of Life which includes everything
from arachnids to zebras)?"

Having worked at two places in Santa Fe replete with scientists, it
strikes me that great efficiency of mentation (all for just a few
calories!) frequently occurs in environments that are shockingly
inefficient from a thermodynamic viewpoint; I refer to the buildings in
which I've worked which are anything but "green".  At lunch recently I
overheard a group of people complaining that the new convention center in
Santa Fe wasn't a green building, shortly after I'd reviewed some plans
for another new commercial building with a miniscule server room.

To return to computing ecology, I wish I had an answer, other than trying
to recycle waste heat from the average server room and re-use it to heat
office spaces in the winter.  With bioinformatics, whether someone is
performing Euler short-read assembly on 400 MB of fasta data or wondering
if the Sybase database with 27 million rows is going to fall over today,
it all results in lots of waste heat from computers using lots of
electrical power with a number of runs failing and having to be re-worked
for various reasons.  If only we had a Peltier noise transducer mechanism
that converted server room noise into electricity...:-)

At home I've deployed the NSLU2-based file server, which albeit slow is
reliable and uses far fewer watts than a mid-tower equivalent, but at the
expense of the nice array of five 3.5" drives with a ZFS file system would
offer (did that at my last job and left the niftier file server there).  I
try to use the laptop as much as possible and ignite the desktops and
their 80-120mm fans only when I need them for a specific task, such as
heating the garage in wintertime to keep our felines warm while the BOINC
client pulls data from ClimatePrediction.net!

Supposedly Google has a proprietary evaporative cooling system they are
using to cool their server rooms which I find very interesting;

http://www.google.com/corporate/datacenters/step2.html

Anyway, I'm similarly interested in other people's thoughts about the
larger question of personal, professional or otherwise computing ecology.

-Nick