I started thinking about writing a toy model after this article was
referenced in another forum:

   http://www.economist.com/node/18563638

I've always viewed the initiative process a bit suspiciously.  It's not
that I don't trust myself or the other yahoos on the street... but I do
believe in delegation.  We delegate legislating to the professional
legislators for a reason, I think.  (which is also why I'm not a fan of
electing non-legislators - laypeople, doctors, programmers, hollywood
actors, etc. - to legislative positions.)  But, I'm torn because, having
worked in lots of multi-disciplinary teams, especially involving
students, the value of a fresh perspective is ... well, priceless.

It just seems we could "apply complexity" to this sort of thing and come
out the other end a little more facile.  I'd love to meet, say, Raul
Castro's consultants and give them a modeling and simulation elevator pitch!