Oh, ok.  I have to stop heckling and take this seriously.  DAMN!

First, I yield to no one on this list in my atheism.  I have been an atheist
longer than most of you have been alive.  So there!  My FATHER was an
atheist, my mother was an agnostic.  (For anybody on this list who might
have been a child in the 40's, there was genre of jokes that circulated at
the time called "Little Moron" jokes.  One of my favorites was,

"My father was a moron, my mother was a moron, and [placing the left index
finger in the left ear and making a circle around the right ear with the
right index finger and forefinger] I'm just a little
pencil-sharpener-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!"

Now it suddenly occurs to me that most of the people on this list are too
young to even know what a pencil is, let alone how a manual pencil sharpener
works.  So, ask your parents during your next visit to the retirement
community.

Second, Doug is asserting that religion is a gateway to intolerance (and
other forms of evil) in just the same way that pot is said to be a gateway
to heroin.  It could be, for instance, that the sort of people who smoke pot
are likely to be the sort of people who use heroin.   Or it could be that
almost everybody uses pot, so everybody who has used heroin has previously
used pot.

Third, Doug is intolerant of religion. I am led, thereby to wonder if
software engineering is a gateway to intolerance.  Hmmmmmm!  I am going to
have to think that one over.

But I am still heckling.  The deep question here is whether any human being
can live without the kind of faith that religion represents . whether in
fact, ANY human does live without such faith.  I have never met a man fuller
of unreasoned faith than Richard Dawkins.  [He believes, after all, in The
Gene.]  So, given that we are all condemned to a certain sort of
metaphysical craziness, the only interesting point is whether we should be
allowed to  get together and share our craziness with others.  Is organized
craziness the problem?  So, as long as we are all lonely in our craziness,
the world will be safe from intolerance?  Certainly, organized craziness is
more dangerous than solitary craziness.  But on the other hand, organized
sanity is more effective than solitary sanity.  So perhaps "organization" is
orthogonal.

I think I have just proved that software engineers should not be allowed to
organize.

Perhaps I will leave it there.

Nick