I do not believe this to be a religious issue at all.  The question is of
groups and institutions.

When a faction of a group becomes apparently insane, do we not expect the
entire group, its leaders and majority, to speak up and to mend?

When civil rights were an issue in the south, many of us (I was at Georgia
Tech) spoke up, and indeed many churches of all stripes did so.  Many NRA
members also speak up about the extreme position the organization takes.
 Examples abound.  And yes, I consider this a Complexity domain, much like
Miller's Applause model.

Isn't this possibly a cultural issue?  Possibly regional?  The largest
Muslim population is not Libya or Egypt or even all of the middle east,
its Indonesia.  They do not appear to have this issue.

So my question stands as Kofi stated:
    "Where are the leaders?  Where is the Majority?  Nobody speaks up."
NOT the religious leaders but the leaders of the culture in which the
religion lies.

And Hussein, forgive me, but your inward religious stance has nothing to do
with speaking out against injustice.  It is not a religious issue, but a
civic, cultural one.

   -- Owen