Roger,

I am always stunned by your ability to mine the web for wonderful stuff.

I happen to have the Peirce paper sitting on my table, so let me draw his
argument out a bit further.  Piece describes 4 ways of fixing belief . This
one he calls authority.  The two others he disapproves of are essentially
stubbornness . pick something and run with it . and forming a school -
getting together with a bunch of people and agreeing on something to run
with.  He thinks that all of these means have some benefits, but that the
only beliefs that will endure are scientific beliefs, i.e., beliefs that are
formed through organized scientific truth-seeking . experimentation,
replication, theory, criticism, argument, instrument building, etc., etc.
But even scientific beliefs are only fated to be true in the very long run,
and nothing that we believe now can be counted on to be true.   Also, truth
is DEFINED in Perce to be just that which we are, in the very long fated to
believe.  So, instead of justifying the scientific method as that which
takes us to the truth, he defines the truth as that which the scientific
method [broadly understood] takes us to.  It's a very strange philosophy,
and it is classically pragmatic.  Just as Holmes defined justice as what
good judges do in the long run, Peirce defined truth as what good scientists
produce, in the long run.  In the short run, you're on you own.  And bad
scientists, just like other people, are prone to fixing belief on one of the
other, less enduring, ways.

Nick