Let's see if I understand you correctly, Owen.

There are a bunch of fundamentalist Islamists all up in arms shouting
"Allahu Akhbar" whilst burning down our embassies and killing our diplomats
because there is a film out that is derogatory of the Muslim religion.

And this is not about religion?

I don't see it.

Or you don't see it.

What I do see is that there is one very large disconnect on this particular
issue.

--Doug

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

> I do not believe this to be a religious issue at all.  The question is of
> groups and institutions.
>
> When a faction of a group becomes apparently insane, do we not expect the
> entire group, its leaders and majority, to speak up and to mend?
>
> When civil rights were an issue in the south, many of us (I was at Georgia
> Tech) spoke up, and indeed many churches of all stripes did so.  Many NRA
> members also speak up about the extreme position the organization takes.
>  Examples abound.  And yes, I consider this a Complexity domain, much like
> Miller's Applause model.
>
> Isn't this possibly a cultural issue?  Possibly regional?  The largest
> Muslim population is not Libya or Egypt or even all of the middle east,
> its Indonesia.  They do not appear to have this issue.
>
> So my question stands as Kofi stated:
>     "Where are the leaders?  Where is the Majority?  Nobody speaks up."
> NOT the religious leaders but the leaders of the culture in which the
> religion lies.
>
> And Hussein, forgive me, but your inward religious stance has nothing to
> do with speaking out against injustice.  It is not a religious issue, but a
> civic, cultural one.
>
>    -- Owen

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org