The problem is not with the Religion - it is with various
interpretations of the religion.  And it is a myth that there is a
"majority" available to counteract or condemn the "minority"

Take the obscene group of "Christians" that like to protest at military
funerals claiming "the death is a good thing because it is God's
punishment for tolerating gays."  Or the group that financed the film
at issue the last few days.  (Or Mel Gibson's father's church.) ....

Following Owen's argument we should see almost every other person who
professes to be a Christian denounce this kind of base
misinterpretation of their Religion.  But it does not happen - because
"they" are not "us" and so we do not have to explain, apologize or
denounce.  Only a few political and religious leaders will react - the
Archbishop of Santa Fe, for example, stated that those people are not
following the precepts of the Christian religion and should be
ignored.  Note: no one said they should be expelled, excommunicated,
from Christianity or that Christians were in any way responsible - even
though the extreme position is grounded in another, more mainstream
interpretation of what the Bible may or may not say about
homosexuality.  Hussein Abbas' eloquent response is a personal example
of exactly this kind of phenomenon.

There is an exact parallel evident in the middle east today.  Yesterday
I heard two imams, the president of Egypt, and the president of Yemen
state that Islam provided no excuse for the violence - that blasphemy
is not an excuse for violence, even to the blasphemer. (Homenei's
famous fatwa against Salman Rushdie was denounced by a majority of
other imams.) Also heard were promises to seek out and punish the
perpetrators (hard there and equally hard here because of the rule of
law). In Pakistan, it is the imams that are denouncing the morons that
apparently framed and wanted to put to death a young women with mental
development issues, for blasphemy.

Owen will never see the reaction he seeks - here, there, anywhere -
because sectarianism in every religion means there is no "majority"
that can react and that every sect sees themselves as apart from "those
idiots over there" and therefore Not Responsible.  Nevertheless,
Individual leaders, religious and political, do and are currently doing
exactly what Owen asks - denouncing, pointing out misinterpretations,
apologizing (for faith and for country) for the miscreants, asking for
understanding, and promising all possible corrective action/punishment.

Is it our own insistence to treat a highly diverse group as a
monolithic bloc the real root of the problems?  Coupled, of course,
with our unwillingness to truly examine and understand our own religion
let alone that of someone else.

dave west