It was a myth fostered by Hollywood that western towns were terrorized by
criminal gangs.  The townspeople were armed and as tough as the punks.  Here is
a notice that was posted widely in nearby Las Vegas, New Mexico:

NOTICE!

To thieves, thugs, fakirs and Bunko-Steerers, among whom are J. J. Harlin,
alias “Off Wheeler;” SAW DUST CHARLIE, Wm Hedges, BILLY THE KID, Billy Mullin,
Little Jack, The Cuter, Pock-Marked Kid, and about Twenty Others:

If found within the Limits of this City after TEN O’CLOCK P.M., this Night, you
will be Invited to attend a GRAND NECK-TIE PARTY, the Expense of which will be
borne by 100 Substantial Citizens.

Las Vegas, March 24th, 1882.

Note that the “Billy the Kid” mentioned was not the famous William Bonney
(alias Antrim) as he was killed in 1881.

Frank C. Wimberly

140 Calle Ojo Feliz

Santa Fe, NM 87505

 <mailto:wimber...@gmail.com> wimber...@gmail.com
<mailto:wimbe...@cal.berkeley.edu> wimbe...@cal.berkeley.edu

Phone:  (505) 995-8715      Cell:  (505) 670-9918