On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Nicholas Thompson <
nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don’t think I said that math couldn’t be mapped onto things.  I only
> said that such mappings are not essential to math and, further, that when
> such mappings occur, the door is opened for confusion that is opened in any
> semantic relation.

Could you show me such a thing?  I demonstrated that computers for example
do not suffer from this confusion.  Computing is a branch of mathematics
that looked inward and found it could provide real world mappings from
5-tuples defining a computing engine (the FSA) to real computers.  Every
time you step on the in/out mat for a door at a store, you are implementing
a FSA.  (Note I bow to your "door" above :)

Call it "Applied Mathematics" if you'd prefer.  But it certainly has a very
high reality coefficient.  There is no ambiguity and there is semantic
binding.

(Note: I realize that ABM does deal with this, and we've dealt with it with
your MOTH model, but it is not necessarily general.)

Let me simplify.  Is there a realm in which philosophy can exhibit a bug?
And more specifically  by simply "running" the philosophy engine?

I believe this may be possible, but I'm not sure.  Maybe we'd have to
create a new field.  Certainly Turing, Church, von Neumann, Shannon, and
many other in the computational world did.  They stood on a brink, vital
for going forward.  Von Neumann had to argue for a computer to be admitted
to the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton .. it was considered just
a machine.  Church and Turing showed that to be nonsense.  Can we do the
same for philosophy?

NB: I'm not referring to "computational complexity" in which we deal with
the running time issues of an algorithm, but to the semantics of
computation itself.  We really do have a strong grasp on what computation
is and we do not quibble about meaning .. at least without heading
immediately to axiomatic solutions.

   -- Owen