From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:12 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Isomorphism between computation and philosophy

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Nicholas Thompson
<nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I don't think I said that math couldn't be mapped onto things.  I only said
that such mappings are not essential to math and, further, that when such
mappings occur, the door is opened for confusion that is opened in any
semantic relation.

Could you show me such a thing?  I demonstrated that computers for example
do not suffer from this confusion.  Computing is a branch of mathematics
that looked inward and found it could provide real world mappings from
5-tuples defining a computing engine (the FSA) to real computers.  Every
time you step on the in/out mat for a door at a store, you are implementing
a FSA.  (Note I bow to your "door" above :)

Call it "Applied Mathematics" if you'd prefer.  But it certainly has a very
high reality coefficient.  There is no ambiguity and there is semantic
binding.

(Note: I realize that ABM does deal with this, and we've dealt with it with
your MOTH model, but it is not necessarily general.)

Let me simplify.  Is there a realm in which philosophy can exhibit a bug?
And more specifically  by simply "running" the philosophy engine?

I believe this may be possible, but I'm not sure.  Maybe we'd have to create
a new field.  Certainly Turing, Church, von Neumann, Shannon, and many other
in the computational world did.  They stood on a brink, vital for going
forward.  Von Neumann had to argue for a computer to be admitted to the
Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton .. it was considered just a
machine.  Church and Turing showed that to be nonsense.  Can we do the same
for philosophy?

NB: I'm not referring to "computational complexity" in which we deal with
the running time issues of an algorithm, but to the semantics of computation
itself.  We really do have a strong grasp on what computation is and we do
not quibble about meaning .. at least without heading immediately to
axiomatic solutions.

   -- Owen