Joseph Spinden wrote at 04/17/2013 07:21 PM:
> Owen is right that there are N! ways to map a set of N objects 1-1, onto
> another set of N objects. The first object can go to 1 of N objects, the
> next to 1 of N-1, etc. That's pretty standard.

Well, saying there are N! maps is different from saying there are N!
ways to map.  While there may only be N! potential maps, there are many
many more ways to demonstrate or realize those maps.

The difference lies in the methods, something that is often left out of
math presentations.  This is one area where I think computation helps
boost the intuitionist or constructivist sense of math, as well as the
incremental/iterative conception of sets.

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
Or at least come to a show