Well, Russ, now, I think you might be ready to see (be the only one to see?)
the force of my making an analogy between the first derivative of a function
and the motivation of a behavior.

One can see and touch increasingly accurate approximations to it, but one can
never see and touch the square root of two itself -- at least not as a concrete
number.

Funny I wonder what the mathematicians on this list will say about this
statement.  It seems to be that the problem of the square root of two is the
reverse of how you have it.  You can touch it any time.  Just lay out a unit
isosceles right triangle and touch the hypotenuse.  The problem is that you
cannot measure it using a unit ruler.  The square root of two is concrete; it’s
just the ruler that measures it is abstract.

But I don’t think Eric and I are committed to the proposition that imaginary
numbers aren’t real.  They are signs that stand in a rigorous, systematic, and
extensively confirmed way for a vast collection of mathematical relationships.
If you could show me that the idea of subjective mind is embedded in a
structure of experimental experience as rigorous as that which embraces the
square root of two, I would concede the argument.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University