Great, Nick. Hadn't thought of the triangle. Neat way of getting at it. So
the relation is real but not yet as a concrete number. The triangle example
says that the ration of the hypotenuse to the side is sqrt(2) :: 1, but it
doesn't give us an actual number as a "real" thing. (I hesitate to use
"real" since I'm not about to define what that means. I'm certainly not
pushing a Platonic view of mathematical entities.)

You wrote: I don’t think Eric and I are committed to the proposition that
imaginary numbers aren’t real.  They are signs that stand in a rigorous,
systematic, and extensively confirmed way for a vast collection of
mathematical relationships.  If you could show me that the idea of
subjective mind is embedded in a structure of experimental experience as
rigorous as that which embraces the square root of two, I would concede the
argument.

(I'm assuming you meant irrational numbers, but imaginary numbers raise a
similar problem) I find myself confused about what you mean when you say
they are "signs that stand in a rigorous, systematic, and extensively
confirmed way to ... mathematical relationships". A sign is not (in your
view) a thing (other than itself) is it? I would have thought that a sign
it's a reference to a thing. The thing itself is only brought to mind (in
the mind) when looking at and thinking about the sign. And mathematics
itself is only confirmed by what people say. It's a very conceptual
discipline. It's not an empirical discipline.  So let's say we take a paint
color strip and ask people to select from a list of five color words (along
with non-of-these as an option) the best match to the color experience they
have when looking at the strip. Let's say there is essentially universal
agreement. Is that good enough to confirm that they all have the same color
experience? That sounds more empirical than mathematics and should satisfy
your requirement for an experimental experience -- although I'm not sure
what you mean by "experimental experience".