Ed, I could not agree with you more on your comments and prescription below.
Charter schools should be part of the menu but are no more the single savior
for public education than vouchers.  Until we overcome the brainwashed
thinking that education is a slave to the economic principle of the bottom
line, we will underfund schools, continue to decrease the innovative
curriculums and fail to attract and retain dedicated teachers who can
survive the myopic attacks on them instead of systemic failure,
administrators who can do their jobs without being full time fundraisers.

However, the most critical component that drives but is missing here from
parents/voters is the will to do more than complain.  We have let
brainwashing about good business practices become the primary mantra for
educating children rather than adapting good curriculums of the past with
better curriculums of the present, always keeping an eye on the changing
needs of the future.  By emphasizing testing as the Gold Standard for what
it means to be educated, we reduce teachers to being line supervisors at the
manufacturing plant producing workers for tomorrow.  No wonder so many burn
out and leave.

My teacher's bones are highly pessimistic about making good changes within
the next generation if families continue to be maxed out in time,
opportunity and willpower.  As long as two income parents can't deliver
their part of the equation to educating their children, why the heck do we
scorn teachers?  As long as popular culture and economics demands that
consumerism is the main priority of our society, we will be trapped and
suffocating.

I was not born a rebel, far from it.  I do not subscribe to radical notions.
But I am increasingly convinced that the poor health of our schools, the
near terminal nature of health care delivery systems, and the corporate
elitism in our political circles will accelerate what already may be
inevitable decline.  It's not quite this simple, but the haves vs have-nots
drive many sociopolitical cycles in history and we don't seem to be paying
attention to ours.

I have blamed religious fundamentalists for many current problems in the
American institutional system.  People trying to impose their worldview on
everyone else is always a prescription for disaster.  But political and
economic purists who subscribed to "less is more" and NIMBY have changed the
immediate landscape.  That's why activists are increasing outside the
system.  The Thatcherites and Reaganites who brainwashed a generation into
thinking government was bad all the time have succeeded far too well: it
took 9/11 for people to see what public servants, including the uniformed
military, did for them on a daily basis.  What Education and Health 9/11
will it take for the public to understand that there is more at stake here
than property taxes, school funding, teacher salaries, and not having enough
dedicated people to do the job?

In Oregon, we may actually be witnessing the death of public schools by
underfunding.  If emergency Measure 28 enacting temporary tax increases does
not pass in January, state agencies and the schools face increasingly dire
outcomes, the equivalent of forced suicide, including losing much of the
state highway patrol and closing 7 prisons.  Think about it.  The school
year is already the shortest in the nation, the Portland School District has
just cut spring sports programs (Music and Art were decimated long ago),
including the very popular Outdoor School, which many Oregonians credit with
turning them on to Science when they were in Junior High.  PSD has $44 M
shortfall now.  Not even an increase in the percentage of lottery funds and
donations from wealthy Blazer players can overcome the money problem.

With the recession and dramatically shrinking state revenues, next year's
shortfall is estimated to be $55 M.  Their teachers are okay with cuts in
pay, but not benefits.  (The state retirement system has been undercut by
Enron, Wall Street and poor planning - in that order.  Enron and Wall Street
exposed the weak planning.)  If the shortened school year is deemed legally
unfit, graduating seniors will face difficulty getting into college, and now
for some of them, no sports scholarships to help get them there.  Some
school districts cannot afford to perform mandated testing, further
jeopardizing students.  With tuition rising, high unemployment, you're
probably not surprised that an alarmed business community is reacting to
what they see as a likely Brain Drain, much as California experienced after
Prop. 13 tax-reforms decimated school funding there in the 80s.

Even though it is encouraging to see local school boards, parents and
teachers in active revolt trying to do something smart and creative, I am
not optimistic that a generation of brainwashing can be undone in time to
save the patient.  Because I don't believe there is a One Size Fits All
prescription I also don't' think there is a miracle worker who can perform a
Lazarus - it's going to take painful adjustments and hard work, but I fear
it will get worse before it gets any better. - Karen
ED WROTE: Karen, I have very mixed feelings about charter schools and about
the amount. of experimentation that goes on in education.  My daughter
attended primary school (Kindergarten to Grade 6) at one of Ottawa's half
dozen or so "alternative" schools.  These schools were based on the concept
of "child centred learning", an approach which was strongly promoted by the
1968 Hall-Dennis Report to the Government of Ontario.  It's a very long time
since I've looked at Hall-Dennis, but one of its basic ideas was that
children should be the agents of their own learning and the role of the
teacher was to assist them in doing so.  In other words, you don't sit kids
in rows of desks and talk at them, you sit them around little tables and
help them think and figure things out by stimulating their curiosity.

It's a great idea, but what happened at our school is illustrative of some
of the perils of implementing it.  The school saw itself as not only serving
children, but families, and parents were expected to be involved in helping
roles in the classroom and in setting school policy and direction.  The
problem was that many parents, both husband and wife, worked and could not
make it to the school very often during the day.  Parents who did not work,
mothers mainly, spent a lot of time at the school because it provided them
with something important to do.  Cliques developed, with the non-working
parents tending to shut out those who worked.  As an example, the inmost and
topmost clique did not invite my wife, who worked but was on school council,
to a dinner with the new principal.  That not only hurt, it caused a lot of
bad feeling between the in-parents and the out-parents.

The moral of the story: let the educators run the schools and very firmly
nail down what roles parents can play at the school.  I don't know if the
parents involved in charter schools would behave like our alternative school
parents, but I rather suspect they would if given the chance.  At our
alternative school you not only had to deal with cliques, you had to deal
with a lot of very strong but ill-qualified opinions on what should be
taught, how it should be taught, the role of the teacher, etc.

>From the foregoing, you will have gotten a sense of what my prescription for
education would be.  Fund the schools adequately and let the professionals
run them.  Keep them neutral and protect them from particular causes.
Safeguard the kids from being co-opted by someone's existing or defunct
ideology and from excessive experimentation.  Let parents in, but in
carefully established roles.  In summary, concentrate on running good,
well-funded, inclusive public schools that turn out thinking and
compassionate kids.