Greetings,

Normally, I don't follow energy discussions...

But, I have a query.

Recently, a most respected and technically qualified friend visited, and
among the other ideas he laid on me was the following:

Oil (petroleum) is not created by the decay of biomass over eons. It is
created by some form of bacteria. The implications are that oil may be an
unlimited resource, and that we are not drawing down on a resource that will
become increasingly rare and expensive. Also: productive and long-term oil
deposits are likely to be more common than commonly thought.

My reaction was skepticism, but this friend is no lightweight, has a very
strong engineering and scientific background, and carries on an active and
personal worldwide technology and science scan.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Lawry