> Gee, isn't it easier to try to break or drastically reduce our addiction to
> fossil fuels??
>
> arthur

More to the ultimate point, we ought to try to break or
drastically reduce our addiction to ENERGY altogether!!!

I like Lovins's approach, which I take to be: what energy
you do need, obtain in the most sensible (cheapest, least
damaging, etc.) way and engage seriously in a *political*
exercise about what you/we actually *need*; that is, get
involved in a discussion about needs and wants and be sure
to include what sorts of social arrangements seem the best.

In other words, AL would very much endorse the wide-ranging
discussion that goes on here at FW, from nuts & bolts to
visionary politics & "philosophy".

I am suddenly reminded of the wonderful discussion about
energy & civilization which occurs in the last chapter of
Lewis Mumford's *classic* TECHNICS AND CIVILIZATION. The
book is still in print and still widely used, I think. I
wonder if any of it has been excerpted and can be found
on-line.

best wishes,

Stephen Straker
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vancouver, B.C.
[Outgoing mail scanned by Norton AntiVirus]