Hi Lawry,

A while ago you referred to:
>> Recently, a most respected and technically qualified friend visited, and
>> among the other ideas he laid on me was the following:
>> Oil (petroleum) is not created by the decay of biomass over eons. It is
>> created by some form of bacteria.

and I said I'd get back to you with some references.

Well! It turns out the refs I had saved began with a piece
about this sent to FUTUREWORK early in 1999 by Mike
Hollinshead!! (He used to be there whenever needed.) He was
interested in the responses to Thomas Gold's hypothesis as
an example of "how science is really done". I imagine there
is a thread of discussion in the FW archives, beginning
with: