On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 07:35:15PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Dan, I looked at the icon box code in style.c because I wanted to
> > make it work with changes of the Xinerama state, but the matter is
> > too complex to write a patch in short time for me.
> >
> > What I want to do:
> >
> >  1) Default to using the primary screen for icon box specs
> >     (already works for X geometry like specs and is easy to do for
> >     the other syntax).
> >  2) Recalculate all icon boxes when the Xinerama layout of the
> >     screen changes (switched on or off).
> >
> > The difficult part is (2) because all the calculations are done
> > when the style is defined.  The precise spec string is thrown away
> > afterwards.  So doing this requires to remove the calculations
> > from style.c and do them somewhere is icons.c.  Can you take a
> > look at this, please?  I think this could wait until after 2.4.1.
>
> Done.  You may want to test this on a system that supports
> Xinerama.  I tested it with:
>
> Style "*" IconBox -80 240 -1 -1, IconGrid 80 67, \
>           IconBox 1040x20+0-40,  IconGrid 80 80, IconFill r t
>
> which tests both formats and some negative coordinates.

Great!  I am still unsure about a few things that could be done:

 - Should each screen have a default icon box?
 - Should icons always be placed in an icon box that overlaps the
   window's screen first?
 - Is it worthwhile to prevent icons from being placed between
   screens if the icon box spans the whole desktop? (I guess not).

I already wrote the code to update the icon boxes when the
Xinerama layout changes, but it needs yet to be tested.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20