On 08/01/03 17:16, "Bruce Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> many (if not most) internet SERVERS won't even handle 150KB/s
>> transfers. I'm sitting on a 1.5Mbps T1 line right now. I don't get
>> anything like a "standard" 150KB/s. Nor have I on any other T1 or T3
>> I've ever been privvy to using.
>>
>> Hell, my personal co-located web server is sitting on a multihomed T3
>> connection in Dallas, and I'm on a 1.5Mbps T1, and I can only expect
>> between 20-45kbps reliably, and peaks around 75.
>>
>> Unless you're sitting ON one of the internet backbones, the Internet
>> itself is the overwhelming bottleneck.
>>

> Actually Jerry, you must be sitting on some bad bottlenecks there...I
> routinely get 300-400 mbs transfer rates here on the UA campus to
> off-campus sites. Granted the UA has a 145 Mbps pipe to the 'real
> world', but if it were the internet that was the bottleneck that
> wouldn't matter.
>
> I'd do a traceroute netween you and your web server...you might find
> you're being routed through Sheboygan or something ;-)
>
> (someone with @Home here in Tucson, back in the day, was having big
> latency problems getting to an on-campus site. Turns out everything was
> going from here, to Denver, to Chicago, back to Denver, to SF then to us
> here....)

I don't know what exact access we have here, at Fannie Mae, but I routinely
get transfers of 300/400 Kbps and sometimes in the 500-600 range.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
Godwin's Law prov.: [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the
probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There
is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over,
and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was
in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an
upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a
widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law
in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.