On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:31 PM, Stephen Bright wrote:

>> in the end........ analog is really the only way to do audio.
>
> Surely you do not mean 100% analog, but rather the use of analog tape
> somewhere in the production path.

not tape, no. but other analog sources.

an analog guitar or piano is almost always preferable to a synth, or to
a digital version of that instrument. there is no replacement for a
real sound.

digital vs. analog is an argument about the source of the sound.
basically, analog implies that you have a non-digital source ... a real
instrument or synth somewhere in the process. some would argue that a
synth may not count, but on the technology level, most are technically
analog audio.

the benefit of analog audio is that Analog Audio Is Analog Audio.
There's no compatibility issues because there's nothing to be
compatible with -- sound is sound. you can take Any Olde Mic or Synth
or Guitar or Clarinet you want, and you have Analog Audio that will
work with EVERYTHING. and it will sound exactly like it's supposed to,
exactly like you want it to.

the benefit behind digital i/o is... well, most people that are
seriously into music composition hear about Digital I/O and go "Cool,
but now I have to get back to work."