At 14:57 -0600 8/1/03, Jeremy Derr wrote:
>very few people are actually DOING digital i/o, and many in the
>industry have severe reservations about going digital -- the same
>problem that you see in the film industry.
>
>analog sound has a distinctive sound that people find familiar,
>reassuring. in the film industry, people are just darn used to film. so
>what if digital video is cleaner, allows the filmers to do more Cool
>Stuff(tm)? If it doesn't look like film, some people just don't want to
>see it. The same is largely true in audio... you even have some people
>who swear up and down that the equipment used in the 60's and 70's is
>the best audio equipment ever made, and be damned with computers.

Hmm . . . not so sure. How do you think all those film and TV show
soundtracks are edited and mixed? That's right, on a computer, with
digital sound. I've done over ten years using Macs to edit video for
broadcast - all using either 44.1kHz or 48kHz digital audio. Sure,
much of it originates on analogue gear but it will wear out
eventually! The Pro-audio world is moving up to 96kHz sampling now.

I know about the old/new analogue/digital arguments but out here in
the real world, digital is efficient, repeatable and editable without
a razor-blade. What do you think is on those audio CDs?
--
With best wishes,

Roger Shufflebottom