On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jeremy Derr wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:23 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>
> >> similarly, your 784kbps (or worse) Cable or DSL connection isn't going
> >> to be saturated by a single computer, regardless of your browsing
> >> habits).
> >
> > Not true.  My DSL connection is capped at 1.2 Mb, and I am therefore
> > limited to 150KB/sec downloads.  My internal network and drive speed
> > could
> > handle a much (probably 100x depending on which computer it is) faster
> > connection.  In fact, I was downloading BMW films last night at my
> > standard 150KB/sec, and copying them back out over the network to my
> > file
> > server at the same time.  The DSL connection was the overwhelming
> > bottleneck in the process.
>
> many (if not most) internet SERVERS won't even handle 150KB/s
> transfers. I'm sitting on a 1.5Mbps T1 line right now. I don't get
> anything like a "standard" 150KB/s. Nor have I on any other T1 or T3
> I've ever been privvy to using.
>
> Hell, my personal co-located web server is sitting on a multihomed T3
> connection in Dallas, and I'm on a 1.5Mbps T1, and I can only expect
> between 20-45kbps reliably, and peaks around 75.
>
> Unless you're sitting ON one of the internet backbones, the Internet
> itself is the overwhelming bottleneck.

(shrug)

I've had DSL connections through Pac Bell in two locations for over three
years.  Both were capped at 1.2Mb.  From both I typically achieved
download speeds of 149 - 153KB/sec.  I've been doing this for years.  Last
night I downloaded half a dozen of the 100MB+ BMW films - steady
throughput at 145KB/sec+ (there's generally a little time at the end
closing the connection that drops the rate down from the steady 153KB/sec
observed during the transfer).  I downloaded Safari and Apple X at the
same rate from Apple.  The actual transfer times/sizes agree with the
calculated rate.

You're either trying to start an argument, or just calling me a liar.
Either way, I'm not interested in pursuing it.  Thread closed.

KeS