Jeremy Derr wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:23 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>

>>>similarly, your 784kbps (or worse) Cable or DSL connection isn't going
>>>to be saturated by a single computer, regardless of your browsing
>>>habits).
>>
>>Not true.  My DSL connection is capped at 1.2 Mb, and I am therefore
>>limited to 150KB/sec downloads.  My internal network and drive speed
>>could
>>handle a much (probably 100x depending on which computer it is) faster
>>connection.  In fact, I was downloading BMW films last night at my
>>standard 150KB/sec, and copying them back out over the network to my
>>file
>>server at the same time.  The DSL connection was the overwhelming
>>bottleneck in the process.
>

> many (if not most) internet SERVERS won't even handle 150KB/s
> transfers. I'm sitting on a 1.5Mbps T1 line right now. I don't get
> anything like a "standard" 150KB/s. Nor have I on any other T1 or T3
> I've ever been privvy to using.
>
> Hell, my personal co-located web server is sitting on a multihomed T3
> connection in Dallas, and I'm on a 1.5Mbps T1, and I can only expect
> between 20-45kbps reliably, and peaks around 75.
>
> Unless you're sitting ON one of the internet backbones, the Internet
> itself is the overwhelming bottleneck.

Actually Jerry, you must be sitting on some bad bottlenecks there...I
routinely get 300-400 mbs transfer rates here on the UA campus to
off-campus sites. Granted the UA has a 145 Mbps pipe to the 'real
world', but if it were the internet that was the bottleneck that
wouldn't matter.

I'd do a traceroute netween you and your web server...you might find
you're being routed through Sheboygan or something ;-)

(someone with @Home here in Tucson, back in the day, was having big
latency problems getting to an on-campus site. Turns out everything was
going from here, to Denver, to Chicago, back to Denver, to SF then to us
here....)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona