>Since the overlay effectively bypasses the video card, if you take the
screenshot (or put it on desktop), you only end up with the pixels in
the strange colour.

But why would this be the case for PLAYING THE DVD on an external screen,
likew a TV ( via S-Video)?
That's a different issue.

You need to set the external screen to be the primary screen. Then the DVD will playback on the external screen fine (though it won't play back on the internal screen).

A pain in the butt. But it's not unique to Macs - my fiancee's comcrap has a similar requirement for playing DVDs on a TV.

True. In many cases, the overlay mechanism only works on a primary display. Had the same issue on my PC with TV decoding card; it wouldn't work on an external display, rendering my whole carefully thought-out setup impossible.

Marcin Wichary
e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/GUIdebook >> Graphical User Interface gallery