On Friday, August 20, 2004, at 05:53 AM, BobGir wrote:

I presume that the new iMacs will have a built-in modem, so the lack of
a modem on the above Extreme Base Stations should be no problem. Right???

Well, the modem is there so you can connect to the internet wirelessly via modem. If you have a broadband access, it's irrelevant.

If you're still using dial-up, it's significant because you'll only be able to connect to systems inside your house wirelessly. If you use the iBooks modem, you're connected (and tied down) via the phone cord, so what's the wireless for?

May I assume that, using the ABS and the iBook only one floor apart in
my home would mean that the absence of an antenna port would likewise not be
a deal breaker?

It depends. Wireless range is dependent on a large number of variables like the construction of your house, competing signals, etc (2.4Ghz cordless phones will interfere, as will microwave ovens to a lesser extent* so watch out for those), so without testing it's impossible to tell, actually.

*I've seen lots of ads happily showing people in the kitchen surfing on their wireless, so the microwave thing isn't out of the question, though you do have to be fairly close to it for it to interfere. One lab here had a microwave on the bench next to a system connected via 802.11b..sure enough, every time they fired up the microwave, the computer lost the network. Moving the microwave across the lab (about 15 feet away) fixed it.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson