On 8/20/04 9:49 PM, "Michael Levin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I missed those posts too. :-( I bought a refurb 15" AlBook in March. Not
> less than six months later, I have two cracks on the plastic frame, the palm
> rest has separated from the plastic trim, and there are burned in marks on
> the screen.
>
> When I contacted Apple, they told me it was normal wear and tear and thus
> not covered by Apple Care.
>
> If you are going to sell your product at a premium, then you must offer
> premium customer service.
>
> I think Apple makes a superior desktop machine. My SE and iMac DV wore like
> iron, and I have nothing but great things to say about them. I also had
> three different Apple desktops through various jobs. Again, all of them were
> great machines.
>
> However, having suffered through the PB 180, which needed a new track ball
> housing every 6 months, and the AlBook, I thoroughly believe Apple cannot
> build or service a lap top.
>
> When I get my next job in three years (I am currently working on my Ph.D. In
> Marketing), I will press for an Apple desktop. As for a laptop, dude, I am
> getting a Dell.

Buying direct from Apple (or any other manufacturer) has a drawback - the
power of personal contact. Granted, being a part-time employee of a
fullserve Apple retailer I am somewhat biased, but I see how our shop works.
We want our customers to be repeat buyers and we take care of them. When you
are a voice on the phone it is easy to say no. When you are talking to a
customer you've known for 5 years you work harder to say yes.

There is no question that separating plastic IS a warranty issue. It was
just covered under my AppleCare. As for the LCD burn-in, it might be. First
line AppleCare 'support' is basically a filter looking for ways to say 'no.'
You'll obviously need to escalate to a higher level.

BTW-if you think buying a Dell will get you a better notebook....I laugh.