On 29/09/04 12:15, "Alan C.Magnus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2004, at 10:33 pm, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> on 28/09/04 19:03, Alan C.Magnus at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to add RAM (Crucial, 512MB, 2700 DDR SODIMMM) to my
>>> Al
>>> PowerBook G4.
>

>> You don't need much force to put RAM in. Just follow the instructions.
>> You
>> have to insert the chip at an angle, then usually put it down. There
>> are 2
>> clips on each side that should clip the chip. The instructions in my
>> "Getting started" manual were clear and illustrated. The only thing to
>> watch
>> for is to make sure that the chip is fully inserted in the connector
>> before
>> you clip it.
>>
>> -Laurent.
>>

> Laurent,
>
> What are the odds of getting two consecutive, bad chips?? lol I have
> done all you suggested before writing and the chip just does not boot
> the laptop. The fact that I replaced the new chip with the two old
> ones, and the machine boots shows that I can put the RAM in properly.
> Is there anything else that might prevent the machine from booting with
> one 512MB chip??

Hmmm, I can't see why it wouldn't boot from a single 512MB chip. Of course,
the odds of getting 2 consecutive bad chips is pretty small, but maybe the
provide had a bad batch?

I've bought a 1GB chip from NewEgg.com for $202.50 USD (shipping included),
btw. I put it in and it has been working fine since then. Crucial should be
fine as well. I don't know what is wrong with their chips, though. They
should work if they are really the specs that you mention above. One thing,
though, are they advertised for PowerBooks? The full specs to the one I
bought can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-111&depa=0

Good luck!

-Laurent.