-- On Thu, 11/6/08, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: How much bandwidth is in use?
> To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 9:56 AM
> At 8:26 AM -0800 11/6/2008, Jonas Lopez wrote:
> >
> >Where is this bandwidth comming from?
>
> The video streams are compressed and/or one or more of them
> might not  be full color (8 or 16 bit instead of 24 or 32 bit) or
> something.
>
> >All 4 webcams have normal people moving and talking on
> live screen.
> >
> >Have I reached the "full" pipeline?
>
> Apparently not yet.
>
> Check Activity Monitor - you might run out of CPU power
> before you
> run out of network bandwidth, doing video.

I think the CPU monitor never is below full green. So, yes the cpu is now the
limiting factor at 400 MHz, but that is not bad; 100 MHz per webcam, ????

> >Does thishow that there is no real need for a
> "faster" DSL?
>
> Try transmitting at the same time, instead of just lurking.

Would we expect T to be the same as R?

> >Is this application the most demanding you would have
> on a fast DSL?
>
> You're looking to swamp your DSL circuit?  Try some
> bittorrent stuff or some multiple-stream usenet downloads.

You missed the point of the question. Is active webcams (4) the most single use
item that would use all of the bandwidth?

> - Dan.

I have just found a webcam with a good, big, analogue clock face with a second
hand. Most of the time, you can see it hit on each of the 5 seconds in line,
but some times it skips 2 or so in a 5 second block. I wonder if this is an
optical problem or are we seeing 30 frames / second or 1 frame / second ince
sometimes it misses 2 seconds?

What do you think?