At 7:21 PM -0800 11/6/2008, Jonas Lopez wrote:
>-- On Thu, 11/6/08, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>I think the CPU monitor never is below full green. So, yes the cpu
>is now the limiting factor at 400 MHz, but that is not bad; 100 MHz
>per webcam, ????

I doubt you can say x mhz per - too many other factors involved.

>  > >Does thishow that there is no real need for a
>>  "faster" DSL?
>>
>>  Try transmitting at the same time, instead of just lurking.
>
>Would we expect T to be the same as R?

Depends on the frame size and rate, and to how many people you're
transmitting to (only one if you're 1:1 or using a reflector).  Your
upstream also has to do the handshaking for the incoming camera
windows...

>  > >Is this application the most demanding you would have
>>  on a fast DSL?
>>
>>  You're looking to swamp your DSL circuit?  Try some
>>  bittorrent stuff or some multiple-stream usenet downloads.
>
>You missed the point of the question. Is active webcams (4) the most
>single use item that would use all of the bandwidth?

Maybe a translation problem.  I'm unsure what you're asking.  Video
can be demanding - yes.  But it is not always *the* most cpu or i/o
intensive task you can run.

>I have just found a webcam with a good, big, analogue clock face
>with a second hand. Most of the time, you can see it hit on each of
>the 5 seconds in line, but some times it skips 2 or so in a 5 second
>block. I wonder if this is an optical problem or are we seeing 30
>frames / second or 1 frame / second ince sometimes it misses 2
>seconds?

People don't want their open webcams to suck up all their bandwidth,
so they often set the refresh rate to be very slow.  That means
watching something like a clock - unless the refresh is under 1/2
sec, you're going to miss "ticks".  Many webcams refresh only once
every 10 or 30 seconds!

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth