At 9:58 AM -0800 11/7/2008, Jonas Lopez wrote:
>  > I have just found a webcam with a good, big, analogue clock face
>>  with a second hand. Most of the time, you can see it
>>  hit on each of the 5 seconds in line, but some times it skips 2 or so
>>  in a 5 second block. I wonder if this is an optical problem or are we
>>  seeing 30 frames / second or 1 frame / second ince sometimes it
>>  misses 2 seconds?
>>
>>  People don't want their open webcams to suck up all their bandwidth,
>>  so they often set the refresh rate to be very slow.  That
>>  means watching something like a clock - unless the refresh is
>>  under 1/2  sec, you're going to miss "ticks".  Many webcams
>>refresh only once
>  > every 10 or 30 seconds!
>
>This is my point: since I can see that the second hand HAS hit on
>each second, except once in a while it misses a seccond, does this
>tell us that they (the sender) is sending at a set rate of 1/2, or
>1, or what per second. They could NOT be sending at a refresh rate
>of once every 10 seconds, else we would see the second hand of the
>clock jump to the new location and hold for the the next frame.
>Using a simple analogue clock in the pix is very instructive, I
>think. What do you think.

Right.  But figuring out where the rate is slowed is not necessarily
so simple... (IOW, your conclusion is reasonable but not 100%
definitive).

There's the frame rate at which the actual webcam is making images.

There's the speed at which its server is pushing the data to the
reflector or you (depends on which protocols are in use, etc)

Then there's the speed at which you can receive the data, decode, and
display it...

QuickTime automatically drops frames, on your computer, if it can't
process them fast enough to maintain the time sync of the video
"feed" (be it a webcam, normal streams, or even something you're
playing locally).

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth