--- On Fri, 11/7/08, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: How much bandwidth is in use?
> To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 7:36 AM
> At 7:21 PM -0800 11/6/2008, Jonas Lopez wrote:

> I have just found a webcam with a good, big, analogue clock face
> with a second hand. Most of the time, you can see it
> hit on each of the 5 seconds in line, but some times it skips 2 or so
> in a 5 second block. I wonder if this is an optical problem or are we
> seeing 30 frames / second or 1 frame / second ince sometimes it
> misses 2 seconds?
>
> People don't want their open webcams to suck up all their bandwidth,
> so they often set the refresh rate to be very slow.  That
> means watching something like a clock - unless the refresh is
> under 1/2  sec, you're going to miss "ticks".  Many webcams refresh only once
> every 10 or 30 seconds!
>
> - Dan.
> - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth

This is my point: since I can see that the second hand HAS hit on each second,
except once in a while it misses a seccond, does this tell us that they (the
sender) is sending at a set rate of 1/2, or 1, or what per second. They could
NOT be sending at a refresh rate of once every 10 seconds, else we would see
the second hand of the clock jump to the new location and hold for the the next
frame. Using a simple analogue clock in the pix is very instructive, I think.
What do you think.
JML