Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Audyssey Magazine
From: Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Date: 30:10:2013 3.45 pm

Hi Charles,

Well, that's precisely the problem. A lot of audio games etc are
developed especially for the blind and while that does not in of
itself preclude sighted users from playing the word blind has a
negative stigma attached to it which can adversely effect their
opinion of the game or games at hand.

Take for instance the games like Run for President, Destination Mars,
Atlantic City Blackjack, and so on. On the face of it those are just
Dos text games with some sounds. If called text games a sighted user
would accept it as that. Call them a "blind game" and immediately they
will probably draw the wrong conclusion about the game and assume it
is exclusively a blind thing which isn't true.

The point being coming out and saying this or that game is made for
the blind can and probably will carry negative connotations weather
intended or not. What we need to do is use more inclusive language
that makes sighted gamers share in our experience rather than isolate
them. Make people aware they are accessible to a visually impaired
user, but include it more as a feature rather than its soul purpose
for existing. :D

I think what we need to do here is broaden our horizons and go above
and beyond thinking of just blind friendly games. We could do more to
think about accessibility in general and how to bring together people
with other disabilities too who may not be able to play standard
mainstream games for some other reason besides blindness.