and i know ann moris enterprises sold a game called, fox and hounds, never did get in to that game. When i first came to this community in 2000 their was jIm Kitchen of course and sod which to me was and is a marvel and more.
Lisa Hayes

www.nutrimetics.com.au/lisahayes

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] first audio game.

Hello Ishan,

Good question. To be honest I am not quite certain who gets the credit
of writing the first audio game per se, but there are a few contenders
for that distinction. What I'll say is accessible PC games go back
before the development of audio games and it is important to start
there.

Years ago before blind developers began developing their own games a
lot of blind gamers would buy Dos text adventures that happened to be
accessible with the Dos screen readers available at the time. This
would be the late 80's and early 90's. Those weren't really audio
games since they are mostly text, but they were accessible with a
screen reader.
I'm not actually certain who developed the first "audio game" but I
think that may have been Jim Kitchen. By the time I discovered the
Audyssey community in the late 90's there were a handful of
established developers like Jim Kitchen, PCs Games, and a few others
were developing games for Dos. Although, I know Jim Kitchen had been
around quite a while and had a presents on dial-up BBS before the
internet really took off.
What I do know for certain by the late 90's there were several audio
games for Dos that played sounds and used a user's screen reader for
speech output. some of those early games included games from PCs like
Panzers in North Africa, Kick Boxing, Monopoly, Any Night Football,
and Ten Pin Alley. GMA released Trek 99 and Lone Wolf 1.0. Jim Kitchen
had Life, Concentration, Simon, Battleship, etc basically the same
types of games he has now accept those early versions were for Dos.
another developer named Robert Betz also was putting out some
accessible card and board games which were for Windows 95 and Windows
98.

Bottom line, by the time I showed up and took an actual interesting
audio games there were already a handful of people working on audio
games so I can't actually say who started it for certain. What I can
say is all of them were for Dos or older versions of Windows such as
95 and 98. You aren't going to find many of those games compatible
with modern Windows versions.

One of the primary reasons has to do with 64-bit hardware and
operating systems. The newer 64-bit processors can't execute 16-bit
and 8-bit applications meaning most of the games and other software
written for Dos won't run on a new 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or
Windows 8 without a Dos emulator and those aren't generally
accessible. The best way I have found to play anything from the 80's
and 90's is to run it in a virtual machine, or to keep an older
computer around with something like XP on it to play older PC games.