Ok, I got that...
But I think that since Windows was created, there were always developers of software who did not necessarily use standard controls or API communications. If this problem is technically that old, why does look it like (from the point of view from the end user of a screen reader) that the screen reader developers seem to be incapable of adding support for more non standard controls?
I mean, I don't know how designing controls work.
But non standard controls go back to the Windows 95 era.
Seriously, Java, Shockwave formerly Macromedia Director or Flash are known technologies, right? If anyone (professional) developers can get access to parts of that technology, then there surely should be a way of adapting the screen reader to handle non standard controls, right? I mean we or our screen reader developers can't force everyone to solely use standard controls, even if Microsoft might like that or not. JAWS for example is one of the oldest commercial screen readers which still exists today. And there are lots of blind users who have to deal with non standard controls at work or at home.
This problem is known.
Obviously it would take a long time to make every control element accessible, that is surely true. But as I said, everyone knows for example what Flash or Silverlight or Java and a few other partially accessible are and that there might be a certain demand in making such things accessible.

And about the Video Intercept drivers, how limited is its effectiveness if it (in theory) can get more data than the Windows API might give the screen reader for a certain application?