Hi Michael,

I'll freely admit I don't have all the answers here as my
understanding of how it all works is pretty basic at best. However,
what I can say is the primary problem with your assumptions is that
you have made some false conclusions on how it works that are false
and it has given you an unreasonable expectation that the problem is
easily resolved.

To begin with the main reason standards and standard controls are
important is because no two screen reader developers have to duplicate
the same work making an application accessible. Therefore the ideal
situation is one in which the application is written using all
standard controls and interfaces known to all screen readers. Whenever
a developer deviates from that standard a screen reader developer then
has to spend lots of time and money trying to make the application and
its custom controls work with the screen reader which is no trivial
task. Therefore the current accessibility paradigms that it is up to
the developer of the application to use standard controls and user
interfaces thus placing responsibility of access on the developer of
the program.

That is not such a bad thing. On Linux the GTK+ toolkit has been made
fully accessible, is tightly integrated with at-spi2, so in theory any
Linux application developer using GTK+ will have a reasonable amount
of access with Orca. On Mac OS X the standard graphics toolkit, Cocoa,
has been made accessible so any Mac application using Cocoa will work
with VoiceOver out of the box. Similar efforts are under way on
Windows with UI Automation and the Windows Foundation Classes. Bottom
line, these days accessibility frankly is not the job of the screen
reader, but is increasingly the responsibility of the application
developer using standard toolkits and controls.

However, as I understand your suggestion every screen reader should be
designed to support every possible non-standard control out there. The
big problem with that is simple. There isn't enough money or interest
in trying to support every custom non-standard control in existence.
Especially, given that we are a minority market, and the application
in question may only be of benefit to or will be used by a small
minority inside an existing minority. Therefore we are talking about a
titanic effort on the part of screen reader developers for little
money.

Besides you seem to have missed the obvious problem is that a custom
control is custom. It is something a screen reader is unlikely to know
what it is, and if a screen reader developer doesn't know it exists he
can't program the screen reader to handle that control. He would have
to be informed of the controls existence in order to support it, and
in a market where millions of custom controls are likely to exist it
is effectively impossible to support them all. Plus even if screen
reader A were able to support every custom control out there the same
work would have to be performed on screen reader B to have the exact
same support. Therefore the best and most ideal situation is one in
which the application uses standard controls  that are known to exist.

Cheers!