Hi dark.
There's a couple of factors at play.
As has already has been said, game development can take some time and keeping
volunteers interested in the medium to long term is quite difficult.
Also following through on commitments can be an issue. As an example, when
developing Park Boss I asked for volunteers to record short bits of dialog, a
number of people contacted me and I sent scripts. That was the last I heard
from about a third of the volunteers.
Another thing that is a factor is the different recording quality that comes
back. This didn't matter too much for Park Boss but in other audio environments
could be noticeable and make the game feel disjointed
There are a number of things that make managing a team of volunteers harder
than employees. Things like wide spread locations, egos and commitment that
probably puts developers off. In the end the developers like my self are very
much code focussed and managing people takes away from coding time. That's why
I think a large scale, volunteer developed game would need someone to act as a
project manager who is not the main coder.
Just some thoughts.
Nick.