You know I have been debating etting a pie.
It can run windows 10 iot (internet of things) core, as well as arch and other linux distros but I havn't bothered with it. Every time I start rationalising a computer, a new tablet, I start asking myself what I want. To be honest now we have wireless, while it costs a lot, I like the laptop idea with all the modules round it as I h ave grown up with dos and then windows.
I do think though that in  theory I should  get and use a desktop pc,
but immediately dismiss this because of how it fits on  my desk.
Fact is I could go either way.
Then again I don't know.
Going back to what you mentioned about making programs though, my first dos system got a custom job with a programmer friend I knew making up a lot of the linux programs converting commands such as beep, cp, fl, ls, reboot, rm, and others to dos for me.
In fact I  still have a disk or so with some of these on  them.
The physical hard drives, disks etc of all my stuff have deteriated far beyond their usefull abilities and I have a folder of stuff I run in dosbox. With manamon and also other things in my life of late I havn't run things as much as I would like. I have tried to run arch on an old machine when I was down for a month with the flue but once better I never turned it on again and now my linux install is hosed probably because my computer has lost time again. From time to time I think I should really reformat and get things fixed but I've never bothered.