From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of dark
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:53 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Audio Archery news.

Hi Charlese.

I'm afraid I just do not agree on the basis that an audio game does not
output graphically. It is not a question of who uses the ap, so much as the
medium in which it outputs.

If a photo editing program outputs images, no sound is needed for the
control or correct running of such a program. Most audio software does have
visual controls, but this is a matter of the interfaced use used to control
such a program, not the ouput, if it were, apple would reffuse any audio
playing program that did not have something like the video show in winamp to
output visual effects during playback of the music.

An audio game however is! controled, and output entirely in audio, just as a
photo editing program is output and controled entirely in images. If you are
not going to demand extra output for the one, why for the other?

i do not doubt that your reason, that the software must! appeal to a sighted
user and Apple considders only visual presentation is correct, but to my
mind this is eronius thinking when it comes to audio games.

As someone with a small degree of vision who plays both audio, and graphical
games (albeit most are old, or at least in retro style), I do believe that
just as purely text based games still have a place and a unique style of
their own, so do audio games.

To take an example, in swamp, the fact that it's the surface you walk on and
the loudness of your movements which attracts the zombies, but by the same
tocan that you yourself must avoid zombies by ear gives a very unique twist
to the game, sinse you really need to watch where you walk, and what weapons
you use.

These are not features used in a graphical game, sinse obviously even if
some game or other did feature blind zombies that navigated by sound (though
I haven't heard of any that has), your character would still! by virtue of
the graphics have an advantage, being able to for instance see your way to
walk around patches of noisey gravel. In swamp however, the fact that you
and the zombies are on a more equal footing, neither having the advantage of
full overview gives a really unique feeling to the game that you wouldn't
get in something fully graphical.

So, swamp is unique because! it is an audio game, and as I believe has been
said previously, deserves recognition not merely in it's status of being
accessible, but in it's status of being audio, just as a fine radio drama
deserves recognition for being a radio drama, and neither a book nor a film.

it is however this I think apple are missing by their insistance on flashy
graphics, sinse they are considdering not what an audio game is! but only
how it will appeal to their customers and sell more phones. Rather than
saying "we are a company who support all! forms of art" they are saying "we
are a company who insist! things look and feel a certain way, even when this
is of no relevance to the things themselves"

it'd be like insisting that every radio drama comes with pictures of all the
characters, or that every novel be written as a comic with the story told in
pictures as well as words.

Of course, apple being the huge, multinational corporation that just wants
more ticks on it's prophit sheet, none of this makes a difference even if we
told it to them, sinse "a corporation that cares" is something of a
contradiction in terms.

Just because we are forced to accept something however by virtue of Apples
control on things doesn't make it right, which is really my point.

yes, Liam and other audio game devs will! have to have graphics for their
games in order that they have the correct, flashy look apple wants, this
however doesn't mean they should! just as even though capcom, nintendo etc
don't give a flying monkey's rear for game access doesn't mean that game
access is unimportant.

Beware the grue!