I can see where people get stumped by a puzzle or situation in a game, but not within 10 or 15 minutes. And, in a lot of cases, their answer is in the user's guide which they never even bother to look through. Strategy tips are one thing, solutions are another.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] killing replay value - Re: replayability and Usagameswas Re: Looking For Something New to Play

Hi Charles.

While I agree some people ak for hints a little too soon, I do believe that situation is a little more complex.

For example, I have seen people ask about castaways, since they just cannot get the stratogy aspect of the game out correctly, they for instance create one person of each profession and have them stand around idly. When they lose everything, they grow frustrated. In that case what is needed is not a hand holding walkthru, but some stratogy tips so that they can go off and develope their own ways of playing, and often without such tips people will abandon the game utterly.

This is something I've seen very much in rpgs, stratogy games and even some of the more complex action ones too.

Then, even in say chillingham style adventure games, there are points a person gets to when a puzzle becomes more frustration than reward. As I've said before, this is why I myself no longer play interactive fiction, since if the action you must take to complete something is so bloody obscure that nobody in their right mind would think about it, the game isn't! much fun. it's why, though i think grues are awsome, i am not a fan of the infocom games.

Admitedly, I've found comparatively few puzzles in accessible games that are that sort of level, ()certainly the bavisoft titles and descent into madness I found easy enough), but of course other people's milage may vary.

then, there are occasions when the engine just makes certain things unclear, or when you must do some slightly illogical actions. One example of this is getting the steaks from the shop lady in chillingham. Depending upon what actions you took, you need to go back several times over in order to initiate the sequence of events that gets you the steaks and will let you examine the desk. It's not thatt players are doing anything wrong, so much as the engine is making life difficult.

to what extent say inquisitor falls into this catagory I don't know, but we'll see when i get the game, (Iwhich I might do tomorrow).

Beware the grue!