Well charlse, that is unfortunately true. For me at least, I actually enjoy reading the game instructions. I suppose it's because growing up, I never got to read the manuals for games, being that they were always in print and thus inaccessible to me, indeed one of the first really fun uses I got out of the internet was looking up info on some of the games I'd been playing, and learning things like the names of enemies and weapons etc. So, even though these days that is no longer an issue, for me reading a manual is all part of the anticipation of playing so it's something I always do, ---- particularly in pc games where I need to learn the in game keys (it's not like playing games on my Snes or mega drive where I could usually just hit buttons to find out which were attack, jump, shoot etc).

There are however other occasions when i've found game insturctions inadequate, indeed I can think of several devs who, while great at programming games don't find writing instruction files their main forte, and others where the instructions are unclear, (though in the latter case when compiling entries for audiogames.net I do try to include appropriate information there).

As to people instantly asking questions, well while I agree there are people with little patience or ability to try, equally as you said yourself it's their own fault that such people don't get as much enjoyment out of games, and I can think of a couple of individuals I've encountered who either ask for help at every opportunity or constantly play with cheats, then are the first to winj about games being too short and easy, however I wouldn't want to generalize from a few people to the majority, especially as there are also plenty of people who genuinely get stuck, or simply don't have the experience or computer skills in games and so ask, ---- which is of course fine.

Beware the Grue!