I don't understand why all this is necessary.

I strongly disagree with the "horizontal scalability" of mongoDB ( i run a
very large mongodb cluster in production in addition to other databases)
and would rather suggest a pluggable backend with a simpler default (like
text files or maybe postgresql or mysql).

Same thing for rabbitmq (although this is easier to maintain in
production). The reason why I liked ganglia in the first place is because
of its simplicity and ease of installation and maintenance.

We also host a very large graphite installation which is a nightmare and we
use it for various use cases. I feel like ganglia is getting closer to
graphite.

I am a heavy ganglia user, having thousands of bare metal servers running
gmond. My main use case is to have a host metrics with nice predefined
graphs without much work to set up. It's a great idea to upgrade the web
front end because the php code is rather hard to follow whenever you need
to patch it, however I think that the web front end should keep things
simple.

Whenever we need to do complex stuff we use other metrics systems like
graphite (and we can send host data from gmond to graphite already).